Man gets Covid fine after gathering at top of Glastonbury Tor

A man has been handed a coronavirus fine after 30 people gathered at the top of Glastonbury Tor.

Officers were called to the Somerset landmark at 12:40pm on Sunday, January 10, to reports that there was an illegal gathering at the top of the attraction.

Officers arrived, and said that as soon as the police turned up, the majority of the group walked off.

But when they began talking to the person they suspected of organising the gathering, he didn’t want to engage with them.

Police issued a public appeal to trace the man, and confirmed today (January 21) that he has now been identified.

A force spokesperson said: “Earlier this week we issued an appeal after a reported gathering of about 30 people at Glastonbury Tor on Sunday, January 10.

Find local issues happening near you, powered by In Your Area:

“A man we wished to identify has been issued with a fixed penalty notice for contravening COVID-19 regulations. We’d like to anyone who provided information.”

Under lockdown rules, it is illegal to meet up with more than one other person from another household outside.

This evening (Thursday), Priti Patel announced anyone attending house parties will be slapped with a new £800 fine on their first offence.

During a Downing Street conference, Martin Hewitt, Chair of the National Police Chiefs’ Council, said unlike the £10,000 fine for gatherings over 30, the £800 fee for gatherings over 15 would apply to both organisers and attendees.

Somerset Live Bath